The newsLINK Group - Green Cleaning - By the Numbers

Editorial Library Category: Health Topics: Green Cleaning Title: Green Cleaning: By the Numbers Author: newsLINK Staff Synopsis: 17,000 Petrochemicals. That’s roughly the number of petrochemicals currently available for use in public and at home. The National Research Council has compiled an estimate about how many of these petrochemicals have been tested in order to determine their effect on people and the environment. Editorial: Green Cleaning: By the Numbers 4064 South Highland Drive, Millcreek, Utah 84124 │ thenewslinkgroup.com │ (v) 801.676.9722 │ (tf) 855.747.4003 │ (f) 801.742.5803 Editorial Library | © The newsLINK Group LLC 1 17,000 Petrochemicals That’s roughly the number of petrochemicals currently available for use in public and at home. The National Research Council has compiled an estimate about how many of these petrochemicals have been tested in order to determine their effect on people and the environment. What did the council find? Less than 30% of the petrochemicals were tested, which means that no one has tested the remaining 70% or more to find out whether they are harmless. 63 Synthetic Chemical Products If your home is like most, then you own an average of 63 synthetic chemical products. In turn, those 63 products contain about ten gallons of potentially harmful petrochemicals. Some of the petrochemicals are in paint or antifreeze, but most of them are in your household cleaners. 100 Times Worse How polluted is it inside your home? And is it more polluted inside or outside? According to estimates by the EPA, the level of indoor pollution can be two to five times higher than outdoor levels. In some cases, the level of indoor pollution is more than 100 times higher. This is a particularly worrying statistic because most people spend 90% of their time inside. Just how bad is it? Indoor air usually has between 20 and 150 different pollutants in it. The concentrations are usually 10 to 40 times higher than what you would find outdoors, and most of them are from petrochemical cleaners. In Oregon, a 15-year study concluded that women who are at home all day are 54% more likely to die from cancer than women who work outside the home. The study suggested that one possible cause of this might be because of women being exposed to cleaning products and their petrochemicals. 275 Active Antimicrobial Ingredients Antimicrobials are also called antibacterial, and you’ve probably seen them most often in the soap aisle at the store. The EPA classifies 275 of the active ingredients in antimicrobials as pesticides. Why? They are designed to kill microbes. But do they really help? The FDA published an update in April 2010 stating that using them doesn’t do you any more good than using regular soap and water. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration classified them as drugs, and the FDA is working to decide whether triclosan (which is an antimicrobial usually found in liquid soaps) is safe and effective. 5 Billion Pounds of Chemicals This number represents the quantity of chemicals used by institutional cleaning industries every year. 23 Gallons of Chemicals This number represents the average number of cleaners, in gallons, used by a janitor every year. Of that number, 25% of the chemicals are harmful. Sources: “Green Cleaning: By the Numbers,” emailed article from Sophie. No date, no author. “Petrochemicals in the Home,” http://www.infinitehealthresources.com/Store/Resource/Arti cle/85/1/1002.html http://www.epa.gov/greenbuilding/pubs/gbstats.pdf http://www.livestrong.com/article/156809-antimicrobial- soap-ingredients/ Word Count: 438 Copyscape Clear Date: 12.16.2014

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NjAyOTE=